From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-27 04:29:12

David Abrahams wrote:

> "Keith MacDonald" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> To paraphrase my original question, what would Boost do with the
>> library under such circumstances?
>
> Most likely we'd continue to ship it and fix any regressions at
> least. And if it was brought to our attention that the library was
> languishing, we'd look for a new maintainer.

This is not entirely true, I think. Iostreams is a good example for this.
(See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/139335)

There are still merges from 1.33.1 to MAIN pending and several issues and
patches have been posted to this list but with mostly no response.

IIRC, it took more than a year for the thread library to get a new
maintainer team.

As for the reasons for this, I have no idea. Probably we would need some
process to officially orphan a library so that it's clear that a new
maintainer is needed.

Markus