From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-29 08:12:03

Václav Veselý <vaclav.vesely_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Yes, I'm interested.
>
> IMHO maximum arity of about 5 isn't too restrictive. Except of this I would
> like to have an alternative new_ with greater arity which use only const
> reference forwarding. Non-const referrence parameters can be explicitly
> wrapped with boost::ref.
>
> I'm confused with syntax. new_<T> always creates auto_ptr<T>. How can I
> create for example shared_ptr<T>?

auto_ptr<T> is convertible to shared_ptr<T>, so the intention was that
you would use that conversion. I have another version where you write

    new_<shared_ptr<T> >(....)

but that just seemed syntactically heavy to little real benefit.

> How this is related to auto_overhead?

I have no idea. Nobody ever explained auto_overhead to me in a way
that I could understand.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting