From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-31 14:31:08

Anthony Williams wrote:
> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>

>>>If we have some kind of estimate
>>>of how expensive it would be to develop the library, it might turn out
>>>that 100-200 willing companies would be enough fully fund the initial
>>>development.
>>>
>>>The website could show then show a bar indicating how close to
>>>funding we where.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?
>>
>>Boost.org is not going to get into this area, at least not without
>>undergoing a total transformation of the way we operate. There are
>>just too many problems here, such as how to manage the funds and how
>>to choose who they're given to, not to mention the fact that Boost
>>then would have to become an organization with some legal standing.
>

> At first look, I like Thorsten's idea. If we could find some way to allow
> companies to spend just a little amount, in support of a specific library, and
> we could find enough companies willing to make such a contribution, then we
> could make it work.

I vividly remember many Amiga games where developed after a similar
model. After presenting some demo and/or screenshot of the game in
progress, the team would wait until they had confirmation that, say 500
people would buy the game.

I personally think, however, that that model was to insucure for the
developers.

> As you say, the problem is deciding who does the work, and how much they get
> for it. Your rate might be double mine, but your work might be ten times the
> quality, or you might be done in a quarter of the time (or both!).

The work should be done by whoever is willing to write a contract for
the work. Boost would be a mediator giving trust to those paying and
support to those developing.

Those developing should be willing to spend some extra time on the
effort, some of their spare-time, just like anhybody else not getting
paid should.

> Once Boost.org starts accepting payment, and paying people to do work, then it
> has to become a proper legal entity, with stricter guidelines on which of us
> are members, rather than just the random assortment of developers we are at
> the moment.

Right. I kinda imagined that Boost would be a mediator, ensuring
quality, support and trust into the process.

> That said, if anyone wants to pay me to develop a library for Boost, or to
> discuss setting up such a partnership, I'm listening ;-)

That's the thing: hardly no normal company would sponsor free software
for other companies, we would need to keep the donation small.

-Thorsten