From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-10 09:24:36

Hi Jeff,

--- Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have some interest and concerns about the asio as a pure
> networking proposal -- it's really an io library proposal with
> networking.

While I certainly intend it to be a comprehensive io library
eventually, at the moment it only does networking :)

> As such, there are some issues not currently
> addressed by the library that I can see the committee being
> worried about.

I presume you are at least partially referring to iostreams
integration? Wrt iostreams support we should probably kick off
some discussion asap on exactly what form that should take. I'll
start a new thread for it.

> In any case, I can see Chris needing a helping hand to get
> this done in time -- presuming that he is still able to pursue
> this deadline.

That's the plan.

> We should probably organize a group of interested folks to
> help this along given the scope and importance of the job.

This is how I see things proceeding:

- I need to get the next version with the breaking interface
  changes from the review out the door.

- A brief discussion on what features are in or out of a
  proposal (although I have a fair idea of this already), based
  on the new version.

- I knock together a rough draft proposal.

- With interested parties, the proposal goes through a process
  of iterative modification and review.

I am putting as much as possible of my spare time (such as it
is) towards getting this next version out. I'm wary of putting a
date on it, but there are only a couple of major changes left on
my to-do list.

Cheers,
Chris