From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-11 07:38:01

news:m2wtdxc76z.fsf_at_boonen.local...
> "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> * Boost Lexical Cast has been tentatively accepted by the LWG for TR2.
>
> Was there any discussion of the to_string(x) and string_to<T>(x)
> alternative?
>
> I only ask because I remember the issue coming up somewhere before,
> and I have never seen a use for lexical_cast that didn't have a string
> on one end.

Yes, there was discussion of alternatives and complementary functions. The
LWG discussed both lexical_cast and "Simple Numeric Access"
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1803.html at the
same time, and is currently proceeding with both proposals as a package of
conversion functionality.

If others think there is a better way, they need to get working on specific
proposals. The LWG does not seem inclined to hold conversion proposals
currently on the table in the hopes something better will appear.

--Beman