From: Howard Hinnant (howard.hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-11 12:40:57

On Apr 11, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:

> What is the general procedure for evolving TR1 (now 0x) components
> further,
> and in particular, what is the fate of N1851, "Improving Usability and
> Performance of TR1 Smart Pointers", especially the allocator support
> section?
>
> In other words, should we spend significant time on improving (for
> example)
> shared_ptr, or should we focus on new, TR2 things, now that
> std::shared_ptr
> is almost set in stone?

N1851 was not discussed in Berlin (lack of time). The status as
summarized in N1954:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1954.html

stands as it was in Mont Tremblant. "Set in stone" is probably not
the right characterization. The C++0X working draft is just that, a
draft. We anticipate that it will continue to change. Defect
reports will be applied to it. Language changes that may be
introduced could have a large impact on the library portions of the
draft (e.g. bind could radically change if lambda functions are
introduced into the language). In part, getting items into the
working draft is to solve a logistical problem. We need a document
that we can read, edit and improve. We can't as easily create a
perfect document when large parts of it (that we know we want in
principal) are scattered throughout various papers.

We know we want shared_ptr or something very much like it. It may
mutate before standardization. But we feel its current specification
is sufficient for the working draft.

-Howard