From: Trent Nelson (tnelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-19 23:49:06

> 1. Values which are expanded statically during parsing
> 2. Values which are fully dynamic - i.e. lookup is performed
> everytime you access the value (so if you change the original,
> the dependent changes as well).

I use something in between the two. When a property is fetched, expand
any ${inline.properties} or %ENVVARS% before returning the value.

This is more flexible than 1, as you can refer to properties before
they've been defined:

product.home = ${common.home}\product
common.home = c:\foo\bar

> 2. Values which are fully dynamic

Is that really a common requirement? Every time I need inline value
expansion it's usually to do with file system paths, and they're usually
values that will never change once the software's been installed, let
alone dynamically at runtime.

        Trent.