From: Ivan Vecerina (ivec_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-20 05:48:23

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
:
: "Darren Cook" <darren_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
: news:44470078.9000503_at_dcook.org...
: >> First and foremost I would like to remind everybody that we already
: >> have
: >> one library intended to cover this problem domain (completely
: >> unacceptable
: >> IMO - but that's another story). This library not only do not address
: >> issues
: >> of existent solution it's not even comparatively close feature wise.
: >
: > Which existing library?
:
: ? program options

I thought that you would have mentioned boost::serialize as an
overlapping library, but program_options ??

I think that a clear difference is that Property Tree is intended
to support I/O of configuration settings, and of other kinds of
human-readable data files. I could well envision an application
that uses both libs: program_options to handle command-line
parameters, and ptree as a storage format for its data files.

I agree with many of your other points. In particular ptree
could be made leaner, and the double-indexing may well be
overkill (I haven't looked at the implementation itself).
But the needs the library seeks to address are very real.

Ivan