From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-21 14:01:35

Rune wrote:

>One thing that property_tree (PT) seems to do is to, from an end-user's
>viewpoint, handle simple and quite complex data and configuration files in
>textual format in a straight-forward manner.

My thoughts exactly. Property Tree is understandable within minutes,
although the interface could certainly be improved. (I find myself
sharing the voiced concerns about too much of the interface being inside
the class.)

>To me it is overkill to bring into two complex libraries like multi_index and
>serialize to handle a "simple" config file. By the way, is it even possible to
>have serialize work with textual files or does it always use a binary format?
>If so, the combination of multi_index and serialize is disqualified for a
>simple config file.

Serialization can handle various formats, and is explicitely designed to
be extensible. One of the formats is XML.
However, Serialization does not handle arbitrary (simple) XML, AFAIK.

Sebastian Redl