From: Walter Landry (wlandry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-21 18:19:15

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> As I allude to in the intro to the boost.build section of the SoC wiki
> page, I personally think writing great libraries isn't just about
> writing the code for those libraries. The tools one uses, and the
> documentation one creates is much of the time more important. If just
> for the plain reason that having good tools allows one to concentrate
> more on the libraries. As a mentor for Computer Science students I would
> think that the development process is the key point of SoC. The
> resulting code is just an excuse to get students acclimated to working
> in Open Source development process. (Yes I'm intentionally framing this
> only within the SoC.)

You could use this rationale to have boost work on compilers, linkers,
operating systems, and hardware. There are other groups that
concentrate on making good build tools. Boost does not exist because
people wanted better build tools.

If you are interested in build tools, then by all means join those
other groups. You can even use Boost as a testbed. But I don't think
it is good to have boosters work on it to the point where it distracts
away from Boost's raison d'etre: making good C++ libraries.

Cheers,
Walter