From: Walter Landry (wlandry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-21 18:19:42

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Walter Landry <wlandry_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > [1] For example, I can not figure out how to get it to use g++-4.1
> > instead of the default g++ (which is 4.0). This is really
> > unacceptable. It shouldn't take me more than 30 seconds to figure
> > that out.
>
> Boost.Build v2:
>
> # ~/user-config.jam
> using gcc : : path/to/g++-4.1 ;
>
> makes g++-4.1 your default gcc. Of course you can also register your
> versions separately:
>
> using gcc : 4.0 : g++ ;
> using gcc : 4.1 : path/to/g++-4.1 ;
>
> couldn't be much easier.

This does not do what I want. I want to be able to type a short
command (like "make" or "bjam"), and have it build with the compiler I
specified when I configured. So different directories would use
different compilers. I configure once (with all sorts of esoteric
commands and locations), but build many times.

It also does not help that this is not at all like the instructions
given on the webpage. The webpage says that I can run configure in
libs/config and copy user.hpp to the right place. That does not work.
It is made even more difficult to debug because bjam prints out
unhelpful lines like

  gcc-C++-action bin/boost/libs/regex/build/libboost_regex.so/gcc/release/shared-linkable-true/threading-multi/cregex.o

instead of the actual command that it is executing. "bjam --help"
gives no clue about how to get the actual command.

Cheers,
Walter