From: Baptiste Lepilleur (blepctc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-24 16:48:20

John Maddock wrote:
> How about:
>
> mymap b;
> b[a][b][c] = 2; // assigns value 2 to node at a/b/c
>
> The way I'm figuring this would work is:
>
> * Accessing a child node with operator[] always succeeds but may
> point to a "ghost" node that doesn't actually exist.
> * Assignment to a node always succeeds, the node gets created if
> required.
> int i = mymap["fee"]["far"]["thumb"].get(3);
>
> returns 3 if there is no data.

Just my 2 cents, this is just how it's implemented it in jsoncpp (which
doesn't even attempt to do half of what the proposed library do):
http://jsoncpp.sourceforge.net/
http://jsoncpp.sourceforge.net/class_json_1_1_value.html

To my knowledge JDOM and TinyXML also provides a similar mecanism.

So you may have put your finger on something,
Baptiste.