From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-29 13:22:09

Fernando Cacciola wrote:
[...]
> This is the same patch proposed by Alisdair a couple of months ago.
> As I explained then, the problem is not really with the compiler but the new
> Dinkum library (that replaced RW in 5.6.x).
> Version 5.5.1, with the RougeWave library worked perfectly.

Yes, I'm aware of the original discussion. Note however that the library
doesn't work with both 5.6.x/STLPort and 5.8.x/Dinkumware.

> But as Alisdair suggested, at this point, we better just commit the fix as
> both of you are suggesting.

Even more so now, as it won't be long before 1.34 is released.

> The real fix would require to experiment with other std libraries, confirm
> that the problem is Dinkum specific, and add the appropiate patch checking
> for that instead of the compiler version.

You're right. It might even be possible to find a more specific
workaround than just fall back on the old implementation.

> Unfortunately I don't work with BCB anymore (for years now), and last time I
> did was for my former employer so I have no copy of any BCB version with me,
> so I can't do that myself (the free comand line tools are equivalent to
> 5.5.1 which is the one I used to develop this library so it definitely works
> with it)

I remember your postings on the Borland newsgroups. Hopefully someone
will find more time to look into this in the future (or Borland comes
out with a reasonably compliant compiler!). Note that 1.34 is the last
version of Boost that will explicitly support Borland compilers older
than 5.8.x .

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti