From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-30 01:18:29

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:21:40 -0700, Robert Ramey wrote
> Hmm - I couldn't resist adding my own idea for an add on to serialization.
>
> Robert Ramey

Actually, I think that serialization extensions would be great student
projects. It's real, it's meaty and it's increadibly useful.

In fact, I might suggest we go for JSON (http://www.json.org/) or YAML
(http://www.yaml.org/) instead of another XML binding. JSON is getting really
big for web applications using AJAX. Both JSON and YAML would have some
slightly tricky design aspects as I think on the input side the archiver would
need to know which types to use for the array and map-like data structures.
I'll put these on the wiki if you don't object.

Robert, could you please fill out this form:

http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_step1.html

That way we can add you to the mentor list. Great idea, and thanks for
volunteering to mentor!

Jeff