From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-30 06:18:22

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Marcin Kalicinski wrote:
>
>>> I seems like you is very confused yourself about positioning of your
>>> library.
>>
>> You are right. I made an effort to change this state of things.
>> Please read it in another thread
>> "[Property Tree] Problem domain". Here's the shortcut
>> http://tinyurl.com/fjmdd
>
> "Get it working for 80% of cases now, rather than for 100% never."
>
> This is a very good summary.
>
> I can add to
>
> 5. target for boost::serialization (ptree_archive).
>
> that once you have an in-memory archive, you can now edit the in-memory
> representation with a graphical editor, and deserialize the result back to
> C++. This allows you to edit your C++ data structures in a live program;
> you
> have no idea how convenient this is if you haven't tried it!
>
> Whether ptree supports this adequately remains to be seen.

I don't think this is the task that should be placed on ptree shoulders.
Would we have generic tree generic tree_archive is indeed could be used for
this purpose. There still remains the question how convenient it will be,
given requirements of serialization library on how archive should look like
(IOW what you really will be able to change other than field values - but
this could be done directly obviously)

Gennadiy