From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-04 23:33:58

Giovanni P. Deretta wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In Google SoC FAQ, it is explicitly stated that any project developed
> during the SoC must be covered by a OSI approved license. AFAIK the
> boost license has not been approved (nor has never been proposed for
> approval).

There was someone working on this on the Wiki awhile back:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost_License/OSI_Approval_Item_3_Working_Draft

And I believe Dave has been working this behind the scenes -- perhaps he
can comment.

> Could this be a problem, considering that projects developed
> under boost mentoring are likely candidates for boost inclusion?

I don't think so.

> Should google be asked to make an exception for the Boost licence?

I doubt they will give us one.

> Should
> projects be released under dual licensing (for example a OSI license
> like BSD + the Boost license)?

I think dual license might be ok -- I don't see that the Google rule
preclude it. Also, there's nothing stopping the author from relicensing
when the project is over. In any case, we've temporarily selected the
MIT license because it's about as close to the Boost license as any
other OSI approved license out there, while we are working the issue.

Jeff