From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 07:38:20

> I'm trying asio on WindowsXPSP2 + VS2003, and I found that
> there are always some connections established from
> 127.0.0.1:xxxx to 127.0.0.1:yyyy, is it a bug?

No, it's not a bug. There is a single socket used by the
implementation's select_reactor. The socket is needed to allow a
blocking select() call to be interrupted. The select_reactor is
used on Windows to implement async_connect as well as the
scheduling deadline_timer wait operations.

It's on my to-do list to implement true asynchronous connect
using ConnectEx (on Windows XP, Window Server 2003 and later).
When I find some time to do this, I will be able to eliminate
this select_reactor use and the associated socket.

Cheers,
Chris