From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-10 01:48:51

Matias Capeletto wrote:
> Martin Wille:
>> Matias Capeletto wrote:
>>> The app could be written in qt so it can be run in each OS.

(Boost has a wider range of target platforms than Qt, btw)

>> There are potential license issues that need to get taken care of if Qt
>> is used (Qt is a lot less free than Boost).
>>

> I have read that qt can be used to develop open source projects. In
> this case the deployment tool is only for that, deployment, so I think
> it wont compromise the boost licence. Anyway it will be right to ask
> first to them to save from troubles. If it can be done in qt, bad
> luck...

"can be used to develop open source projects" implies GPL, in this case.
I'd rather not see stuff under GPL in Boost:

* there are several different interpretations about how far the viral
nature of GPL extends.

* there are several different versions of GPL and there will be even
more of them.

* Users of Boost include companies that do have troubles using Software
that uses different licenses for different parts of the software
(especially if GPL is one of the licenses).

The best options I can see are: getting a special license for Qt (likely
won't happen), not using Qt, or developing the deployment tool
completely separate from Boost (separate repository, separate deployment).

I do not want to discourage you. I like the idea of having an easy to
use installer.

Regards,