From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 14:00:00

David Abrahams wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I'm just about done. I'm unable to test on cw-8.3 at the moment
> because the test library seems to be broken there. As for cw-9.4, the
> export tests never worked there, presumably for the same reason I'm
> seeing: when a class template static member is used only as the result
> of another template instantiation, it may never get initialized. As a
> result, base/derived relationships are not getting registered.

That's always been my guess - but I never found a way to fix it.
I didn't have CW on my own machine so I wasn't really able
to experiment enough to look for a solution - if there is one.

> Aside from that, all export tests seem to be passing, including
> release mode tests on vc-8.0.

Note that I had a lot of problems on many platforms with
code not being instantiated in release mode. I recommend
testing on all platforms with release mode

> I was able to clean up a *lot* of messy code.

> Would you like me to:
>
> 0. Check my code in on the trunk

Without having looked at anything, I'm assuming that export.hpp
has been pretty much replaced and I would be fine with
seeing it just checked into the trunk.

 I wasn't aware that there
was a *lot* of messy code (except perhaps workarounds
for compiler quirks). Maybe we have a different criteria
for "messy". If this confined to a few modules, maybe the
most practical would be to email them to me so I might
have a look at them. If its a lot of modules, I would like
to consider it some more. Note that the trunk is undergoing
some flux as the adjustments to array serialization are
being integrated - this might affect the course of action
here.

Robert Ramey