From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 10:34:50

Paul Giaccone Sent:

> Centi-, deci-, deca- and hecto- are not officially part of SI
> nomenclature.

That's not what the Bureau Internatoinal des Poids et Mesures
(http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochure/chapter3/prefixes.html) says.

> Does the second officially take any prefix? Can you talk about a
> "megasecond",
Yes. (Although it is EXTREMELY unusual).

> or would you convert this to the more usual "11 days, 13
> hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds"? Indeed, does the library have a
> mechanism for doing this sort of breakdown of time? I suspect not, as
> time is not base 10.
>
> Is the litre officially an SI unit?
According to http://www.bipm.org/en/CGPM/db/16/6/ it wasn't in 1980. I
think it unlikely to have become one since.

> It looks like there is a large number of things to consider in this
> library. I hope the ever-growing wish list doesn't end up pushing the
> release date of the library back for ever or causing it to end up
> being rejected just because there is a host of extra requirements
> that it does not yet fulfil.

Here here!

--
Martin Bonner