From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 12:04:43

Kresimir Fresl <fresl_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>>>Then why is it such a prominent example in the documentation?
>
>> In what documentation?
>
> Maybe this one:
>
> THE BOOST MPL LIBRARY
>
> [http://boost.org/libs/mpl/doc/index.html]

Oh, you mean the documentation of Boost.MPL! That documentation is
not meant to describe the domain of metaprogramming, it's supposed to
help make the MPL understandable.

> Tutorial: Metafunctions and Higher-Order Metaprogramming

That tutorial is a very good example of how to work with the
abstractions of the MPL. That doesn't mean it's representative of
what metaprogramming can do. Those are two very different things.

If I give you a tour of a workshop and show you how to use all the
tools, it doesn't necessarily mean you've learned much about the kinds
of things you can build in that workshop.

Several later chapters in the book are devoted to giving people a
better sense of what you can do with TMP.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting