From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 23:40:29

Jan Stetka wrote:
> Hi
>
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> The combinations which failed were Wave and Program_Options with VC6.
>
> Since you are interested in these libraries then its quite bold to say
> that all libraries should give information on supported compilers.

Bold ? It is not logical to you that a library should say which
compilers are supported in its use ? How many people do you know create
computer software and tell the end user that they do not know whether
the software works in a particular environment, but that it is up to the
end user to find out ? Would you call developers successful who have
that attitude ?

> You
> have found for yourself that these libraries don't compile on VC6 so
> what use would a table telling you that have been?

Because I don't know whether the failures of those libraries are because
they don't support VC6 or because there are bugs in the implementation
and they were meant to support VC6. I am asking for information on the
former so I know what to do when the latter occurs.

> My advice is use a
> more up to date compiler where you can.

I already know that but in my case I can not. I work for a living and
when my boss tells me to use VC6 or I won't work for him, because I like
to do things like eating, I use VC6. Believe me I have already suggested
upgrading to VC7.1 or VC8 a number of times already.

> The acid test is when you come to compile boost and use it for a
> particular purpose.

That should have been resolved before the library is put out.

> If its something you feel strongly about perhaps you
> might be interested in collecting such information for the boost community.

Not my job. How happy you will be when your end-users do the work for
you of determining whether or not your software works for them in their
environment. But I don't think you will sell or even give away much
software like that.

> I for one find the documentation very good for boost.

It generally is. But that is neither here nor there regarding this issue.