From: Jan Stetka (janpstetka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-09 05:46:40

Edward Diener wrote:
> How many people do you know create
> computer software and tell the end user that they do not know whether
> the software works in a particular environment, but that it is up to the
> end user to find out ? Would you call developers successful who have
> that attitude ?

How many people do you know that test source code on every platform /
compiler that exists?

> Because I don't know whether the failures of those libraries are because
> they don't support VC6 or because there are bugs in the implementation
> and they were meant to support VC6. I am asking for information on the
> former so I know what to do when the latter occurs.

It would be logical to assume they don't support VC6 but wait for
confirmation from the developer.

> I already know that but in my case I can not. I work for a living and
> when my boss tells me to use VC6 or I won't work for him, because I like
> to do things like eating, I use VC6. Believe me I have already suggested
> upgrading to VC7.1 or VC8 a number of times already.

I for one don't have a copy of VC6 and there are more interesting
developments than supporting old microsoft compilers.

>> If its something you feel strongly about perhaps you
>> might be interested in collecting such information for the boost community.
>
> Not my job. How happy you will be when your end-users do the work for
> you of determining whether or not your software works for them in their
> environment. But I don't think you will sell or even give away much
> software like that.

Boost is a group of volunteers, if you want commercial support i believe
its available.