From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (Arkadiy.Vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 10:20:50

Eric Niebler wrote:

> I suggest we stop tracking the download counts
> and remove the "top downloads" page until
> the numbers can be made reliable. As they are,
> the download counters are meaningless and misleading.

I don't know if this kind of popularity contest
is a good idea in the first place. First, it is not
even accurate: it highly depends on how often
the new version of file is uploaded. Second, all
it may do is to help popular libraries to become
even more popular.

However, as I said before, I think the download counter
is a very useful tool. It helps the library author to
estimate the amount of interest to the library, that
sometimes cannot be determined by the response on the
mailing list. And this usefulness is not affected by
occasional drop of the counter.

So, I would suggest removing the "most popular" page,
but leaving the counter -- it's very useful.

Regards,
Arkadiy