From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 10:44:02

David Abrahams ha escrito:

> David Greene <greened_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> >> E. Is the documentation good enough for a boost library?
> >
> > This has been made very clear and Andy has graciously accepted
> > the suggested documentation changes.
>
> Andy has indeed graciously accepted criticism of the documentation,
> for which I commend him.
>
> What's missing for me is a clear intention to actively pursue better
> docs himself, as opposed to being willing to accept specific edits
> that other people happen to suggest. If we leave the quality of our
> documentation (or code, for that matter) up to people who rewrite it
> for us, we won't have much quality at all. IMO the library author
> has to be willing to take responsibility for making the docs work; any
> help from the outside is a bonus.

There's an alternative: convincing someone else other than the
programmer to become the long-term documenter of the lib. Producing
quality documentation for a library is a challenging and rewarding
task and distributing responsibilities among several people might work
better than expecting authors to excel at coding as well as documenting.
Now, not that we have a pool of aspiring documenters, but it we
publicized the position a little some volunteers might appear, for
specific libs at least.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo