From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 11:10:14

Andy Little wrote:

> Having only investigated transform matrices, I had hoped that integrity of
> quantities can be maintained in most cases. But I havent done extensive
> experiments
>
> In cases of vectors, I have only used vectors where all elements are one type of
> quantity. The vectors are used to represent position, direction and so on in 3
> dimensions. A container that holds different quantities I would consider to be a
> tuple. But I stress I am not an expert.
>
> [...]
>

> regards
> Andy Little

   I think the question of even a position vector depends on what
coordinate system you choose. In cartesian coordinates, all of the
components of the vector have the same units, but in any other system
(spherical, or cylindrical, for example) the components don't all have
the same units. Since the coordinate system is another thing that should
be problem dependent, even simple vectors like the position of a
particle may have mixed units.

                        John Phillips