From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 11:15:33

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:26:22 +0200, Gennaro Prota
<gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>for the reasons noted in my previous message about boost::timer, I've
>updated it to report a custom exception in case it cannot (re)start
>the timer. If there are no objections I'll change the docs to reflect
>this. The modification is on the trunk only, of course.
>
>http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/boost/timer.hpp?r1=1.7&r2=1.8

Hi again,

after a careful analysis of the code and of the C standard I have
further comments and proposals for this class. However there's one
point I'd like to understand, first. The code has a long comment
saying:

  "It is recommended that implementations measure wall clock
   rather than CPU time since the intended use is performance
   measurement on systems where total elapsed time is more
   important than just process or CPU time."

I wonder what does that mean. Of course std::clock() is required to
measure process time, not wall clock time (though it measures wall
clock time, instead, on some non-conforming platforms; consider for
instance the VC++ run-time library).

--Gennaro.