From: Noel Belcourt (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-14 14:43:37

On Jun 14, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Janek Kozicki wrote:

>> Janek Kozicki wrote:
>>> Anyone has seen in work a fractional power of unit, different than
>>> square root?
>
> John Phillips said: (by the date of Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:49:39
> -0400)
>
>> Many nuclear reaction rates are modeled in series expansions based
>> on
>> the 1/3 power of the temperature.
>> In general, fitting formulas to measured phenomena will happily use
>> any power you can imagine, if it gets the behavior right.
>

> so the need for rational powers remains? I remember that one of the
> reviewers complained that rational powers are "too" much:
>
> Noel Belcourt said: (by the date of Thu, 8 Jun 2006 00:54:51 -0600)
>
>> 8) Is there an easy way to replace the rational dimensions with
>> integers? A number of disciplines could probably make do with
>> integers
>> and paying for rational dimensions seems expensive and unnecessary,
>> although it's certainly more general.
>
> Assuming that we want both rational and integer powers - is thare any
> way to make it without making the library "too" complicated?

Hi Janek,

I intend to post an, hopefully, uncomplicated solution demonstrating
support for user selectable integer and rational dimensions. Clearly,
a unit system solution needs to be parameterized on this axis so users
can select which dimensional representation they need without paying
for unnecessary resource consumption, like excess compile or run times,
that may be imposed by a rational solution.

Regards.

-- Noel Belcourt