From: Tanguy Fautre (tanguy.fautre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-15 06:35:41

John Maddock wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Heh, I think we ought to think very carefully about changing our
>> default.
>
> I agree: normally our default is the same as the compiler's default, if you
> want to do something out of the ordinary then it's up to you to compile the
> lib's the way you want them. I don't think there's any way we can provide
> every possible binary.
>
> John.

I agree too.

But seeing how bad the STL performance is when using the default (i.e.
checked iterator on). I think the least that could be done is to talk
about it in the documentation and explain how to disable the checked
iterators (http://boost.org/tools/build/v1/vc-8_0-tools.html seems like
a good place for this).

A better solution for the user would be to provide an additional
variable in the VC-8_0 toolset (e.g. bjam "-sVC80_CHECKED_ITERATOR=0").
But I dunno whether that's easily feasible.

Tanguy