From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-16 18:24:09

> I can't say that I agree with your conclusion that parallel algorithms
aren't very useful for general applications nor that manually multithreading
applications is the best option. On the contrary, I think it's going to be
very important that the average programmer has high-level generic tools for
working with parallel algorithms for even seemingly trivial applications in
the not-too-far future.

Coincidentally, my summer of code project for Boost, Boost.Act, is all about
parallel algorithms along with active objects and simple asynchronous
function calls. You can see the full proposal at
http://2006.planet-soc.com/node/201 . Be sure to check out the included
preliminary documentation for code samples and rationale. Right now, in
terms of the algorithms side of the project, my library just allows you to
easily work with a few common algorithms such as for_each, copy, generate,
and fill, with the execution model able to be toggled via policies, though I
plan to have all or nearly all standard algorithms implemented by the end of
the summer. At this point in time I do not have any plans for parallel
containers for the immediate future, but once everything else is completed,
I would definately like to pursue them as a next step.

Currently, my library is implemented using a combination of
Boost.Threadsand OpenMP. I've read up a bit on STAPL thanks to this
thread and I'm
looking into the possibility of using it internally in future versions of
the project, pending their willingness to release the source.

--
-Matt Calabrese