From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-18 20:01:49

David Abrahams wrote:
> Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I did many fixes yesterday on
>>>

>>> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostConfig
>>>
>>> but they seem to have been reverted. Anyone knowing what's going on?
>> Sorry, I had to revert a huge spam attack and I missed that you had made
>> changes. Should be restored now.
>
> Jeff,
>
> I still don't understand why we don't have a simple "register and
> reply to an email before editing" interface as so many public sites
> do. This constant battle against wiki spammers hardly seems worth the
> trouble.

Two reasons. That requires a software upgrade including data conversion
to new wiki software. Second, based on my discussion with other wiki
administrators it doesn't stop spammers -- they just register with a
free email address and off they go. Bottom line is that today's system
takes me about 10 minutes per day. The only bad part is that it
sometimes takes a bit more time to roll back if I don't happen to be online.

Jeff