From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-18 21:26:38

Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> Two reasons. That requires a software upgrade including data conversion
> to new wiki software. Second, based on my discussion with other wiki
> administrators it doesn't stop spammers -- they just register with a
> free email address and off they go.

Of course a few will do that. But isn't most spam done by automatic
webcrawling software that seeks out open wikis and forums? As long as
those abound, fewer spammers will bother with the protected one,
right? That must also be why image verification is so widely used.
If spammers were content to deface these sites by hand and use
arbitrary amounts of subterfuge to do so, pretty much nothing could be
effective against them.

> Bottom line is that today's systeam takes me about 10 minutes per
> day. The only bad part is that it sometimes takes a bit more time
> to roll back if I don't happen to be online.

As long as you don't mind doing the work, I appreciate it, and of
course it's okay with me.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting