From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-24 10:26:28

> > "Andy Little" writes:
> >>
> >> My initial reaction is that I would not vote to accept GIL into Boost unless
> >> it
> >> came with a cross-platform UI.

Displaying images on the screen has nothing to do with image-handling
library.

That's what I would expect from image handling library (just few examples):
- Changing image brightness,
- adjusting gamma levels,
- changing color modes,
- converting from CMYK to YCbCr,
- scaling using various interpolation methods,
- rotating.
- provide an access method for OTHERs who want to display the image on
  the screen (or somewhere else), it's not even the UI (or the printer)
  that displays this image - it is something in between.
- etc..
- Image I/O in various formats (tiff,jpg,png) is just an extra bonus here.

cross platform UI is completely unrelated, because it does following
things:
- windows with menus
- buttons and widgets to click
- drop down menus
- provides display context for OTHER methods that can display something
  within the context provided (eg. displaying text of this email you are
  reading, displaying some OpenGL 3D graphics stuff, and eventually
  displaying an image)
- etc...

Andy: That's so unrelated I can't imagine how you would want to combine them.

Lubomir Bourdev: can you confirm my expectations? How difficult would it
be to add YCbCr color space? (My work with experimental data requires
extracting Y component from digital camera picture)