From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-24 10:39:00

Janek Kozicki wrote:

> Displaying images on the screen has nothing to do with image-handling
> library.
>
> That's what I would expect from image handling library (just few examples):
> - Changing image brightness,
> - adjusting gamma levels,
> - changing color modes,
> - converting from CMYK to YCbCr,
> - scaling using various interpolation methods,
> - rotating.
> - provide an access method for OTHERs who want to display the image on
> the screen (or somewhere else), it's not even the UI (or the printer)
> that displays this image - it is something in between.
> - etc..
> - Image I/O in various formats (tiff,jpg,png) is just an extra bonus here.

What about image *processing* ? Things like

  - sharpening, smoothing, thresholding, dilation, erosion
  - compression, FFTs, wavelets
  - feature detection, segregation
  - morphing

There is indeed a whole lot of things that are done with images without any need for
a GUI. And even if displaying images would be part of it, it's most often enough to
be able to dump the image on some kind of 'surface' or 'canvas', without having to
know anything about widgets etc.

In short: I fully agree. A library such as GIL should not care about a GUI.

Regards,
                Stefan