From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-24 11:58:27

Stefan Seefeld said: (by the date of Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:39:00 -0400)

> Janek Kozicki wrote:
> > Displaying images on the screen has nothing to do with image-handling
> > library.
> >
> > That's what I would expect from image handling library (just few examples):
> > - Changing image brightness,
> > - adjusting gamma levels,
> > - changing color modes,
> > - converting from CMYK to YCbCr,
> > - scaling using various interpolation methods,
> > - rotating.
> > - provide an access method for OTHERs who want to display the image on
> > the screen (or somewhere else), it's not even the UI (or the printer)
> > that displays this image - it is something in between.
> > - etc..
> > - Image I/O in various formats (tiff,jpg,png) is just an extra bonus here.
>
> What about image *processing* ? Things like
>
> - sharpening, smoothing, thresholding, dilation, erosion
> - compression, FFTs, wavelets
> - feature detection, segregation
> - morphing

I have only quickly skimmed through GIL docs, so I don't know if GIL
provides *processing* algorithms. It would be nice to have that. But
maybe due to the fact the the number of such *processing* methods is
almost infinite (just look at how many plugins GIMP has) I rather expect
this library to provide an easy interface to implement any (and all) of
those that you mentioned above.