From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-28 01:14:26

"David Abrahams" wrote
> "Andy Little"writes:
>
>> Whenever I invoke bjam I get this first:
>>
>> warning: Python location is not configured
>> warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
>> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
>> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
>> (and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
>>
>> Thanks Bjam. You know what? I really don't care!
>
> Got anything constructive to say about it?

Nope. Just more ranting I'm afraid...

Why not make disabling 'optional' Unicode regex support the default, seeing as
its optional and I'm obviously too thick too know what ICU is, so I don't need
it as the message rather rudely reminds me. After all if I was clever enough to
know what ICU is, I would probably be clever enough to switch Unicode/ICU
support on if required wouldnt I, which seesms to be the implication.

Same for Python library. I havent configured it, I obviously don't want it
unless some dependency crops up in my source code which I am trying to build. At
that point tell me about it and then I'll figure out how to configure Python.

The fact is that all my tests and examples seem to build fine without me having
done anything about configuring Python or Regex, so these messages are
completely bogus AFAICS. What purpose do they serve?

regards
Andy Little