From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-28 09:07:00

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" wrote
>> "Andy Little"writes:
>>
>>> Whenever I invoke bjam I get this first:
>>>
>>> warning: Python location is not configured
>>> warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
>>> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
>>> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
>>> (and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
>>>
>>> Thanks Bjam. You know what? I really don't care!
>>
>> Got anything constructive to say about it?
>
> Nope. Just more ranting I'm afraid...

well, please try to do better. Try to remember that we're all on the
same team here.

> Why not make disabling 'optional' Unicode regex support the default,
> seeing as its optional and I'm obviously too thick too know what ICU
> is, so I don't need it as the message rather rudely reminds
> me. After all if I was clever enough to know what ICU is, I would
> probably be clever enough to switch Unicode/ICU support on if
> required wouldnt I, which seesms to be the implication.
>
> Same for Python library. I havent configured it, I obviously don't
> want it unless some dependency crops up in my source code which I am
> trying to build. At that point tell me about it and then I'll figure
> out how to configure Python.

Well, they're a bit crude, but these warnings were put in for the
benefit of the person doing

     bjam install

who makes no explicit request to build Python or Regex at all.

> The fact is that all my tests and examples seem to build fine
> without me having done anything about configuring Python or Regex,
> so these messages are completely bogus AFAICS. What purpose do they
> serve?

To let you know that although you may get some usable subset of Boost
functionality, you won't get all of it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting