From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-28 17:26:10

Lubomir wrote:
> FYI - we just posted a 55 minute Flash presentation regarding GIL. You
> may find watching it more convenient than reading the tutorial.

Wow! The presentation was very informative and easy to understand.

I agree with Andy, however, about locators being renamed cursors. That
said...

I haven't been following the GIL discussions on the mailing list, nor have
I had the chance to look at the source code and try writing code in it.
That said, I feel like I could start processing images in about half an hour
and I don't know anything about image transformations!

The presentation keeps comparing GIL to the STL and this is true. Knowing
how STL works helped me understand the GIL concepts.

I would really like to see this library in the next version of the standard,
but I believe it is too late for C++0x. It might not be too late for TR2,
and by getting GIL reviewed and in Boost (and considering it is part of
the Adobe open source), having a reference implementation isn't a
problem.

Going on the standard alone, C++ is seen as a console/text based
programming language, and this is the way that it is usually studied.
Java is considered to be easier than C++ and has a standard graphical
framework, allowing students to learn hte language from a graphical
perspective.

Now, if/when GIL becomes a part of the standard, imagine learning
C++ and the first thing you do is use GIL to rotate a JPEG image, or
crop it, or apply the gradient transform, ...!

- Reece
Try Live.com - your fast, personalized homepage with all the things you care about in one place.
http://www.live.com/getstarted