From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-29 05:25:24

On Jun 29, 2006, at 5:29 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:

> I would like to see really more of this -- though much like in
> parallel supercomputing applications, the issue really will be more of
> performance than anything.

The performance should be just that of the underlying MPI library and
the hardware. The C++ bindings should have negligible overhead.

The main performance-related design issue was about user-defined data
types, for which an MPI_Datatype can be constructed using the
Boost.Serialization library. The array serialization optimizations
that have recently been added to the CVS HEAD of the
Boost.Serialization library ensure that also this part can be done
without performance penalties. This is also the reason why the latest
Boost from the CVS HEAD is needed to compile and run the MPI library.

Best regards

Matthias