From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-02 11:15:48

Reece Dunn wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> It's yet another discrepancy between the BBv1 and BBv2 build files.
>> Which I guess I'll have to fix. Incidentally I had also just noticed
>> that problem when I was trying to solve the first discrepancy :-)
>
> BBv2 also chokes when doing:
>
> bjam --v2 install msvc-7.1 link=static,shared
>
> I have posted this (with a proposed solution several times), but haven't
> had a response.

Yea, noticed :-) Just hadn't had a chance to think about it yet.

> (1) The stage.jam tag rule doesn't propagate the <rtti> option which
> Boost.Wave turns of, causing a duplicate target for Boost.FileSystem.
> Adding 'r' for rtti=on solves this issue. This will produce:
>
> boost_filesystem-vc71-gd-r.lib
> boost_filesystem-vc71-gd.lib

I don't think this is the right solution for this problem. Although it
might be a solution for people who turn off rtti overall. If I remember
from previous discussions we don't want to encourage turning off what
are supposed to be standard features of the language. And for that
matter have to test such variants. There's also the problem of changing
the auto-link code to account for these new names. So it's not just a
matter of changing the jam code. That means that since we are not adding
new features to code anymore we can't change the auto-link code to
account for those new names.

Personally I think turning off rtti for the whole wave library to
workaround a vc71 bug is the wrong solution, read that as it's a kludge.
So I would consider it a bug in wave that needs to get fixed.

> (2) Again in the stage rule, link=shared generates an IMPORT_LIB
> target that conflicts with the STATIC_LIB target generated by
> link=static. Adding 'i' or '-imp' for IMPORT_LIB fixes this issue.

This I will fix by making it behave as BBv1 does, and what is
documented, and what the auto-link code expects of using the "lib" prefix.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything