From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-02 12:26:16

On 7/1/06, Kevin Spinar <spinarkm_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Is there interest in a clone_ptr class to supplement the current smart_ptr
> library? A clone_ptr is a smart pointer which performs a deep copy of the
> pointed-to object whenever the clone_ptr is copied.

Yes, I would be interested. I prefer the idea of object oriented programming
with value semantics, as this would easily allow for. It certainly makes
working with polymorphic types much more consistent with the rest of the
language. As a suggestion, if you weren't going to do so already, use the
pointer containers' clonable concept to get the cloning functionality
required for copies (
http://boost.org/libs/ptr_container/doc/reference.html#the-clonable-concept).

--
-Matt Calabrese