From: Kevin Spinar (spinarkm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-01 23:47:59

Is there interest in a clone_ptr class to supplement the current smart_ptr
library? A clone_ptr is a smart pointer which performs a deep copy of the
pointed-to object whenever the clone_ptr is copied. Also, the polymorphic
type is maintained, eg:

clone_ptr<Base> p(new Derived);
clone_ptr<Base> p2;
p2 = p; /* p and p2 now point to different Derived objects */

I am aware that there is a policy_ptr library being constructed which will
probably provide the same functionality as this clone_ptr; however, when is
this policy_ptr library scheduled to be completed? With
cvs.sourceforge.netcurrently appearing to be down I've been unable to
find accurate information
on the status of this library, but with the complexity involved in creating
such a versatile smart pointer, I imagine policy_ptr will still be under
construction for some time; whereas a clone_ptr class could be written
rather quickly, considering the simplicity of it and using the existing
smart_ptr library as a guide.

Kevin Spinar
spinarkm [at] uwec [dot] edu