From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-05 10:26:39

Joel de Guzman wrote:

> Me, I prefer the immutable and functional approach:
>
> to_upper(to_lower(to_upper(rng)))
>
> Yeah, for the record, I never liked the use of the |. With the
> plain functional syntax, the joke is very clear.

Of course the issue with this is always the efficiency.

> For the record, I don't like fat everything-but-the-kitchen-sink
> interface too. Same as I dislike mutating functions. Sorry, Jeff.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to an immutable super_string -- I agree that
would make things nicer. However, I don't have the time or inclination to
write the core of a string class (is there a boost.const_string somewhere?).
The other thing I value highly working seamlessly with existing code that uses
std::string.

Jeff