From: Sean Parent (sparent_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 00:33:56

> This is very close to what I have in mind. The main difference is that
> the functions/algorithms in my mind take ranges instead of iterators.
> Thus:
>
> to_lower(src, dest)
> to_upper(src, dest)
So long as you don't require ranges (or a pair of iterators makes a
valid range and dest can still be an output iterator). That's fine -
these should work on char* as well as container types. I don't know
what kind of ranges you have for dest which allow dest to change size
- seems a bit problematic.

I want iterators that can handle the encoding transform. I want to be
able to write items like the following:

std::string s = get_some_utf_8_xml_data();

// Find the BOM character as a UTF-32 character

utf_iterator_t i = std::find(utf_iterator_t(s.begin()), utf_iterator_t
(s.end()), UL0x0000FEFF);

assert(*i.base() == U0xEF); // base iterator points to start of UTF-8
character

Sean