From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 09:57:47

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:29:58 +0300, "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

>> Sorry, I thought you had read my earlier post about this. I found some
>> invocations of BOOST_ASSERT which don't use an expression with int
>> type. When BOOST_ASSERT falls back to the standard assert macro it may
>> work or not, depending on what the underlying C library does.
>
> I know. Is this a real problem? Are you sure that making BOOST_ASSERT fail
> when assert works a good idea? It will just encourage people to not use it.
> Not that they need much encouragement. Almost everyone ignores BOOST_ASSERT
> (and the users' requests to please not do so).

Alright, I'd rather not read such bitter regrets, so what can we do
about that?

Maybe it's time to more seriously revive the idea of Boost programming
guidelines. I'm amazed that we've come this far without a more
complete document than what's provided at
http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#Design_and_Programming

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting