From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-07 02:21:42

Gennaro Prota wrote:
> My memory on this is quite blurred, but long time ago Terje Slettebo
> did a complete rewrite of lexical_cast<>, in this direction (I haven't
> looked at your code though).
I forwarded your message to Terje.
My solution is not a complete rewrite. Some source types are routed
to lexical_stream_limited. It doesn't have stringstream member but
rather a pointer to local buffer (those source types are always
limited in length). I use custom algorithms to place a source value
to the buffer because it's faster. Though, I could use streambuf and
ostream to format to the buffer without additional allocations.
I use streambuf and istream for input phase except wstring and string
types (it's not different from old lexical_stream) and CharT.
All other target types are read using istream and streambuf that points
to the buffer.

> In the end, however, the current solution
> was preferred, I guess for its simplicity. That doesn't mean you
> cannot have another take at it, but I'd suggest to search for old
> posts and ask what the current consensus is before investing time on
> it.
I'm waiting for a reply from Terje.

--
Alexander Nasonov