From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-10 15:43:36

On Jul 10, 2006, at 3:23 AM, Matt Calabrese wrote:

> In the case that a function object is written where certain
> arguments may
> yield an ambiguous function call, how should the function object's
> result
> template be defined? Should using the result template emit an error
> upon
> instantiation, or should it merely not define the type typedef? I see
> different benefits and drawbacks for each approach and I'd rather not
> arbitrarily pick one if there is already an established convention
> for this
> case.

There is no convention for this. In truth, I don't think it matters
much what result_of does, because if one tries to actually do the
call that result_of is computing a result type for, compilation will
be ill-formed. If I had to choose, I'd say do whatever produces the
earliest error messages.

        Doug