From: Dave Steffen (dgsteffen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-11 13:46:52

Eric Niebler writes:
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > "Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> >> Is there interest in turning this into a BOOST_MIN/BOOST_MAX library?
> >
> > I dunno. The mixed-type min/max problem is not a major issue for
> > most people, is it?
>

> IMO, it's a minor inconvenience. The dangling reference problem is
> more insidious, as the compiler won't catch it, but I've never been
> bitten by it, personally.
>
> > I'm pretty sure decltype/rvalue ref will give us everything we
> > need to do it in C++0x with a real function template, so I'm
> > leary of building macros for this purpose.
>

> How long will it be before all the compilers Boost supports have
> decltype and rvalue-reference? ;-)
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about it either. Maybe I'll whip something
> up, put it in the sandbox and leave it there.

</lurk>

 I'd favor having it in Boost. Boost is not only a collection of
 useful libraries, it's also a collection of _good examples_ and
 _educational_ libraries, and I think Eric's macros are both of the
 latter. People don't _have_ to use them. :-)

<lurk>

Dave Steffen, Ph.D.
Software Engineer IV Disobey this command!
Numerica Corporation
ph (970) 419-8343 x27
fax (970) 223-6797 - Douglas Hofstadter
dgsteffen_at_[hidden]