From: Scott (cheesy4poofs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-12 16:51:30

We've been using ASIO for a while now in a large project and it's been
great. I've recently been tasked to add optional SSL support between our
client and server. Since there are some SSL classes in ASIO I started with
the ASIO SSL example code and got that working. I then pretty much copied
the relevant pieces from the sample code over to our project to see if it
would work there.

Using the same certificates and key files from the sample code, I added the
handshaking and got our client and server to communicate. It all seemed
great at first, because it seemed to seemlessly work. But eventually the
communications break down. I either get asserts in my code from unexpected
data in the stream, or the client hangs waiting for data that never appears
or any of several different stream problems. It's rarely the exact same
thing. But it eventually always fails. Especially on long sustained
transfers.

I have no idea what I might be doing wrong. There's really no documentation
at all on ASIO and SSL. For all I know, it might be a problem with the SSL
implementation in ASIO. Which brings me to my question - has anybody
successfully used the SSL classes in ASIO on complex projects? If so, that
would point to a problem in my code somewhere. Perhaps I need to do more
than just add the initial SSL handshake (aside from using the SSL stream
beyond that point)?

Thanks,
Scott