From: viktor kougitko (klug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-13 06:19:18

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <cheesy4poofs_at_[hidden]>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:51 PM
Subject: [asio] has anybody enabled SSL in a large project?

yes after two day debugging looking for fixes and some hot fixes it begin to
work

> We've been using ASIO for a while now in a large project and it's been
> great. I've recently been tasked to add optional SSL support between our
> client and server. Since there are some SSL classes in ASIO I started
> with
> the ASIO SSL example code and got that working. I then pretty much copied
> the relevant pieces from the sample code over to our project to see if it
> would work there.

get lastest version of asio asap or search google for changes in ssl support
and patch

> Using the same certificates and key files from the sample code, I added
> the
> handshaking and got our client and server to communicate. It all seemed
> great at first, because it seemed to seemlessly work. But eventually the
> communications break down. I either get asserts in my code from
> unexpected
> data in the stream, or the client hangs waiting for data that never
> appears
> or any of several different stream problems. It's rarely the exact same
> thing. But it eventually always fails. Especially on long sustained
> transfers.

it seems that problem with buffer sizes try to change
asio/ssl/detail/openssl_stream_service.hpp
openssl_stream_service::create
::BIO_new_bio_pair(&int_bio, 3*8192, &impl->ext_bio, 3*8192);
it helps in my case

> I have no idea what I might be doing wrong. There's really no
> documentation
> at all on ASIO and SSL. For all I know, it might be a problem with the
> SSL
> implementation in ASIO. Which brings me to my question - has anybody
> successfully used the SSL classes in ASIO on complex projects? If so,
> that
> would point to a problem in my code somewhere. Perhaps I need to do more
> than just add the initial SSL handshake (aside from using the SSL stream
> beyond that point)?

that's not a solution in my opinion